Thursday, January 11, 2007

Carnivorous plants
One of my personal hobbies is growing carnivorous plants. Carnivorous plants are unique in the plant world in that they catch prey to survive. At present, I'm growing Dionaea muscipula, Darlingtonia californica, Drosera, Pinguicula, Sarracenia, and Nepenthes. In upcoming blogs, I'll post some pictures of my plants.

If you're interested in growing carnivorous plants, I highly recommend The savage garden: cultivating carnivorous plants by Peter D'Amato. D'Amato's book includes detailed instructions on growing a wide variety of carnivorous plants from the classic "venus flytrap" (Dionaea muscipula) to exotic species such as the Nepenthes.

Labels:


[+/-] show/hide this post

2 Comments:

Blogger Gordola said...

Have you been to Peter's store in Sebastopol?It's really cool! Carnivorous plants are fascinating; I have a sarracenia that I got there.

January 12, 2007 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Yes! I buy most of my plants from Peter. Nice person. He signed my book too.

January 12, 2007 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home